Stephen | Erin | Nathan | Jaxon

Stephen | Erin | Nathan | Jaxon

March 30, 2010

Hush Little Baby

"A crying baby is the best form of birth control."
-Carole Tabron


I was warned that your second child is always the opposite from your first. I was skeptic. Until now.


Nathan was so independent. Didn't really cry and was happy 90% of the time. He would sit in his swing and just be happy as can be. Granted, I had lots of help from his grandparents but I don't really remember me wanting to pull my hair out as much as....well, now.


Jaxon Jaxon Jaxon. He cries and cries and cries.


He cries when he's:
-hungry
-full
-has a dirty diaper
-getting his diaper changed
-in a clean diaper
-tired
He cries when:
-he wants his pacifier
-his pacifier falls out
-he's sucking on his pacifier
-you pick him up
-you put him down
-he's in his swing
-he's in his other swing
-he's in his bouncer
-he's in his crib
-you rock him
-you sing to him

So, when is he not crying?
When he's sleeping.






I already feel like a first time mom again. The real first time though, I had help with an experienced grandma who seemed like she knew everything there was to know about babies. This time around, Stephen & I are on our own. Seeing as how Stephen leaves for work by 6:00 am and doesn't get home until dinner time, I am completely alone during the day. When he cries I worry that he's uncomfortable, too hot, too cold, hungry, in pain, gassy, etc. So I do everything to check and make sure he's just fine, which he usually is. But he just.won't.stop.crying. It breaks my heart. If it doesn't stop when I cradle him I'm overcome with this fear that he just hates me. Okay okay. I'm sure I'm overreacting and he doesn't hate me...but I can't help but fear it.

Just when I think that he'll never stop, something happens and he stops crying.
[Hallelujah!]
Maybe he comforted himself or maybe it was actually something that I did to calm him.
I like to think it was something I did and I give myself a little pat on the back.
I can do this.